Sue Kiesewetter reports:
Butler County residents can safely dispose of unwanted or expired medications Saturday during the National Prescription Drug Take Back.
This is the sixth take-back day since the Drug Enforcement Administration began the program in 2010. Thirteen sites in Butler County will accept medications.
“When we first started doing this, we knew there was a need. We knew this was a service that needed to be provided,’’ said Rusty Payne, DEA spokesman. “What we didn’t realize was the amazing results we were going to get.”
Since the program began in September, 2010, residents across the country have turned in more than two million pounds – 244 tons – of prescription and over-the-counter medications.
The DEA partners with local law enforcement agencies to find sites where medications can be dropped off and collected. Take back days have been scheduled about every six months, Payne said.
They will continue until federal disposal regulations are established and a more permanent solution can be found, Payne said.
Medications and over-the-counter drugs can be turned in from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with no questions asked. Labels can be soaked off, medications can be placed in bags, or residents can black out names and prescription numbers to remain anonymous.
They can be turned in at the following locations in Butler County:
- Butler County Sheriff’s Office, 705 Hanover St., Hamilton
- Fairfield Police Department, 5230 Pleasant Ave.
- Fairfield Township Police Department, 6485 Vonnie Vale Court
- Hamilton Police Department, 331 S. Front St.
- Kroger parking lot, 3033 Heritage Green Dr., Monroe
- Liberty Township fire headquarters, 6682 Ohio 747
- Miami University Police Department, 4945 Oxford-Trenton Road, Oxford
- Middletown Police Department, 1 Donham Plaza
- Monroe Police Department, 233 S. Main St.
- Ross Township Police Department, 3133 Hamilton-Cleves Road
- Talawanda High School, 5301 University Park Blvd., Oxford, 9:30 a.m. to noon
- Trenton Police Department, 11 E. State St.
- Walgreens, 7804 Cincinnati-Dayton Road, West Chester Township