The Cincinnati Enquirer released its list of spring all stars in Tuesday’s print edition, honoring 25 Lakota student athletes. The Enquirer named seven Lakota athletes as first teamers in their respected sports and selected 18 others as honorable mentions.
The Enquirer also named Lakota East senior Zach Mueck as its Division I Boys’ Tennis Player of the Year. Mueck finished as the state runner-up for the third consecutive year. Mueck also won his third straight district title and had a 21-1 record this season. Mueck will continue his career at Xavier.
Feel free to congratulate the following athletes below in the comment section or acknowledge the many student athletes who also deserving to make this list.
Division I First Team selections:
- Zak Farmer (Lakota West, baseball) – The senior pitcher was named second-team all-state and first-team all-GMC in 2012. He led the Firebirds in at-bats (107), hits (44), doubles (9) and in batting average (.411). On the mound, he also led the team in innings pitched (59.1), wins (7) and strikeouts (59).
- Michael Conrad (Lakota East, baseball) – The University of Cincinnati signee struck out 100 batters in 61.1 innings of work in 2012. He also complied a 5-2 win-loss record with a 1.83 earned run average. Conrad was also named second-team all-state and first-team all-GMC.
- Lea Buckenmyer (Lakota East, softball) – The junior pitcher was second-team all-state and first-team all-GMC in 2012. On the mound, she posted a 19-7 win-loss record, struck out 133 hitters in 164 innings, had eight shutouts and had a 1.20 ERA. At the plate, Buckenmyer led her team and the GMC in runs batted in with 43. She also led her team in doubles (14), on-base percentage (.481) and batting average (.432).
- Ashley Sharp (Lakota West, softball) – The sophomore was honorable mention all-state and first-team all-GMC in 2012. Sharp led the GMC in wins with 20 (win-loss record was 20-5). She also struck out 178 batters in 173.1 innings – had 11 shutouts and a 1.09 ERA. At the plate, Sharp led Lakota West in home runs (3) and in runs batted in (21).
- Autumn Heath (Lakota East, track) – The sophomore sprinter placed in two events at the 2012 state meet. Heath finished fifth in the 100-meter dash and eighth in the 200-meter dash. She was selected first-team all-GMC for three different events.
- Zack Mueck (Lakota East, tennis) – The senior finished as the state runner-up for the third consecutive year. Mueck also won his third straight district title and had a 21-1 record this season. Mueck will continue his career at Xavier.
- Nick Lang (Lakota West, tennis) – The junior was named second-team all-GCTCA in singles. According to the GMC website, Lang was 7-2 at No.1 singles and 14-3 overall. Finished in first place in his flight in the Greater Cincinnati Tennis Coaches Association Tournament. (more…)