Sue Kiesewetter reports:
A former member of the Liberty Township Fire Department’s Explorer Post was one of six part-time firefighter hires approved by trustees this week.
Lakota West graduate Ryan Pickering, is a former member of the fire department-sponsored Post 2895 and is a Liberty Township resident. He and the other five firefighters hiring was effective June 18.
The hires are contingent upon successful passage of background checks. Each of the firefighters is certified as an emergency medical technician. All will earn $12 per hour.
“This fills all our existing slots,” said Chief Paul Stumpf. “We’ll monitor to see if there’s a need to add any part-timers for fill vacation or other vacancies.”
With the new hires the department is up to 92 firefighters. Of those, 33 are career firefighters and include officers.
Besides Pickering, the other firefighters hired were:
- Andrew Jones: A resident of Fairfield Township, Jones completed the high school firefighter program at the D. Russel Lee Career Technology Center.
- Jacob Garnett: A Liberty Township resident, Garnett is a Lakota East graduate and also works for the Deerfield Township Fire Department
- Shawn McIntosh: A Monroe resident, McIntosh formerly served in the navy.
- Joseph Burkart: A Harrison resident, Burkart is a member of the Mason Fire Department.
- Richard Witsken: A Green Township resident, he is the son of Green Township Fire Chief Doug Witsken.