As October ends, there are still four Lakota varsity fall sports teams who will be playing postseason matches this week. In addition to that, there will be three runners from Lakota East who will be competing at this Saturday’s state meet.
In volleyball, both Lakota East and Lakota West will have regional semifinal matches on Thursday at Lebanon High School. Lakota East will face Mt. Notre Dame at 6 p.m., while Lakota West will matchup with Ursuline at 7 p.m.
If both Lakota teams advance, they would then play each other in the regional final on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Lebanon High School. The winner of that will advance to next week’s state final four at Wright State University Nov. 8 and 10.
In soccer, the Lakota West will face Wayne in the regional semifinal at Sycamore Junior High at 7 p.m. this Wednesday. If the Firebirds advance, they will play in the regional final at noon on Saturday at a site to be determined.
Then, in football, Lakota East will make its first-ever postseason appearance when it visits Springboro at 7 p.m. Saturday.
At the regional cross country meet at Troy, senior Matt Rice, senior Kelly Burrows and sophomore Abbie VanFossen – all of Lakota East – qualified for this Saturday’s state meet at the National Trail Raceway in Hebron.
Rice finished ninth at this past weekend’s regional meet with a time of 16:07.94. The first-place finisher, Tippecanoe senior Sam Wharton, posted a time of 15:37.87.
VanFossen finished seventh with a time of 18:42.33, while her teammate Burrows finished 12th with a time of 18:53.06. The first-place finisher, St. Ursula sophomore Annie Hefferman, posted a time of 17:57.44.
Weekly Lakota fall sports postseason schedule:
Wednesday, Oct. 31
- Boys’ soccer: Lakota West (16-1-2) vs. Wayne (13-4-2) at Sycamore Junior High at 7 p.m. in regional semifinal.
Thursday, Nov. 1
- Volleyball: Lakota East (22-2) vs. Mt. Notre Dame (25-0) at 6 p.m. at Lebanon High School in regional semifinal.
- Volleyball: Lakota West (20-5) vs. Ursuline (19-6) at 7:30 p.m. at Lebanon High School in regional semifinal.
Saturday, Nov. 3
- Soccer: (If Lakota West wins Wednesday) will play the winner of Mason/St. Xavier, also on Wednesday, at noon on Saturday at site to be determined in regional final.
- Cross Country: Three Lakota East student athletes will compete at state meet at the National Trail Raceway in Hebron. Division I boys’ race begins at 12:30 p.m., while the Division I girls’ race begins at 3 p.m.
- Volleyball: Winner of Lakota East/Mt. Notre Dame will play the winner of Lakota West/Ursuline (each match from Thursday) at 2 p.m. Saturday at Lebanon High School in regional final.
- Football: Lakota East (7-3) at Springboro (10-0) at 7 p.m. in regional quarterfinal.