Sue Kiesewetter reports:
Lakota West has some of the most talented musicians in the state.
Just ask the Ohio Music Education Association. Following auditions by about 1,500 students across the state, 14 from Lakota West were selected for one of four All-State bands, with one alternate. Another six were selected for the All-State Choir.
That’s the highest number of band students selected from any one Ohio high school this year. The ensembles meet and rehearse during the OMEA’s annual convention that will be held Feb. 7-9, 2013 in Columbus.
Not far behind West was Lakota East with 12 band members selected and one alternate.
Those from West selected for the All-State ensembles and their instruments are:
- All-State Band: Garrett Scholtes, and Paul Register, clarinet; Rameen Salehi and Jenna Eagle, bass clarinet; Luke Hamilton and Melanie Rampton, trumpet; and Ben VanArsdale, percussion
- All-State Orchestra: Julie Green, bassoon; Sarah Klimek, trumpet; Daltin Loomis, percussion
- All-State Jazz: Curtis Holtgrefe, alto saxophone; Ethan Bennett, tenor saxophone; Peyton Bennett, tumpet; and Matt Boubin, alternate, trombone
- All-State Choir: Kayla Burley and Maddie Smith, soprano; and Mandee Jordan, Emily Miller, Courtney Popp and Julie Street, alto
Those selected from East for ensembles were:
- All-State Band: Samantha Hach, flute; Brad Burrets and James Gaitan, bassoon; Joshua Omaits, trombone; and Kevin Everson, percussion
- All-State Orchestra: Chris Nichols, French horn
- All-State Jazz: Zach Williams, baritone saxophone; Jacob Stegeman and Adam Feltner, trombone; Alex Fuhr, trumpet; Andrew Haug, piano; Julia Higgins, bass; and Nathaniel Lett, alternate, trumpet.
Posted in: Schools |