According to MetroParks of Butler County officials, the third annual Crazy Cardboard Regatta at Voice of America Park on Saturday attracted thousands for the second straight year.
“It was another great year,” MetroParks spokesperson Susan Stretch said. “It couldn’t be possible without the complete support of the community. It’s exciting to see this kind of support and even more amazing to see what the builders dream up and then build and race each year.”
New to the event this year was the “Paddle with a Purpose” fundraiser that went toward the adding of a handicapped accessible area to the VOA Park playground.
The total amount of raised funds will not be known for a few weeks. However, early estimates by MetroParks show that the event may have collected close to $10,000 for the cause.
The fundraiser itself was inspired by the event’s grand marshal Scott Stricker, who uses a wheelchair and requires assistance with the most basic of needs.
Last year, Stricker led a team of nurses, family members and friends with the building of a boat that ended up winning the event’s People’s Choice Award. His boat won the award again on Saturday.
Below is the list of all the winning boats from the event.
Youth (ages 10-14) Show Boat category:
- 1st- Swamp People from West Chester
- 2nd- Torpedo from Liberty Twp
- 3rd-FriendShip from Liberty Twp
Open (ages 10 and over) Show Boat Category:
- 1st-Still in Da Nile from Liberty Twp
- 2nd-Unhandled Exception from Montgomery
- 3rd-Sea Alice from Amelia
Youth Need for Speed Category:
- 1st-Koi from Maineville
- 2nd-Nemo from Monroe
- 3rd-Flip from West Chester
Open Need for Speed Category:
- 1st-Lemonator from Maineville
- 2nd-War Hawk from Monroe
People’s Choice Award- Viking Invasion from Cincinnati
A panel of local celebrity judges awarded the following:
- Judge’s Choice-Still in Da Nile from Liberty Twp
- Best Theme-Water Kings from Liberty Twp
- Best Team Spirit-Miss Demeanor from Monroe
- The Titanic Award (best sinking)- FriendShip from Liberty Twp
- Most Entertaining-Sea Pickle from Springboro
- Craziest-Lola III from Liberty Twp
“It was a lot of fun craziness packed into one day,” Stretch said. “MetroParks is grateful to the committee, volunteers, builders, fans and everyone who made this day such a success. Planning has already begun for next year.”
The date for the Regatta in 2013 is scheduled Saturday, July 20. For information on how to get involved, contact MetroParks at 513-867-5835.
Additional photos from the community will be posted on WestChesterBuzz.com later this week.